- Creating an entity
- Operations that can be performed on an entity
- Duplicating/Copying an entity
- Deleting an entity
- Renaming an entity
To group information according the MERISE method, entities must be created.
The data model editor allows you to easily create entities in a CDM (Conceptual Data Model).
To create an entity:
- On the "CDM" tab, in the "Creation" group, expand "New" and select "New entity". The description of the entity is displayed.
- the name of the entity. This name will be the logical name of the file created when the LDM is generated from the CDM.
- the caption of the entity that briefly describes the subject of the entity.
- whether an "Automatic identifier" property must be defined in the entity. The value of this property is unique for each record and it is automatically calculated.
- the notes that present the operating mode of the entity.
- The entity becomes the current entity. The properties of this entity can be described automatically.
Operations that can be performed on an entity
Duplicating/Copying an entity
To duplicate/copy an entity:
- Select the entity to duplicate.
- Press Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V to copy the entity.
- In the duplication window, specify the requested information and validate. The duplicated entity is automatically created in the current CDM.
Deleting an entity
To delete an entity:
- Select the entity to delete.
- Open the popup menu of the selected entity (right mouse click).
- Select "Delete". The entity is automatically deleted from the CDM. If relationships were pointing to this entity, these relationships are also deleted.
Renaming an entity
To rename an entity:
- Select the entity to rename.
- On the "CDM" tab, in the "Current element" group, click "Description".
- Modify the name of the entity and validate the entity description. The entity is automatically renamed.
This page is also available for…