- How to?
- Specific programming features
Developing sites for specific platforms
Many devices can be used to display websites (Phone Android, iPhone, ...), and the screen sizes of these devices are often smaller than those of desktop computers.
It's possible to manage the display on mobile devices thanks to layouts, zoning, etc.
WEBDEV also allows you to define the mobile display mode for each Page on the site.. We can also create specific sites for Apple Mobile (iPad or iPhone).
To develop sites for specific platforms, the following operations must be performed in each page of the site:
- Open the page description window: on the "Page" tab, in the "Description" group, click "Description".
- In the " UI " tab, set :
- display mode on mobile: It is possible to:
- Display page at 100%. It may overflow the screen.
In this case, you can specify if the user can change the zoom. You can also specify the maximum and minimum zoom values.
- Adjust zoom so that the page fits the screen (horizontally):
In this case, zoom will be automatically set according to the size of the mobile device.
- the options to use for iOS webApps.
- Hide address bar: Allows you to hide or show the address bar.
- Full screen: Allows you to indicate that a page of a site must be displayed in full screen on the iPhone.
In this case, you have the ability to choose the display mode of the status bar of Safari (bar found at the top of the screen indicating the battery load, the time, etc.). The available options are as follows:
- "Default": the bar is displayed with the default color
- "Black": the bar is displayed with a black background
- "Translucent black": the bar is displayed with a black background and a reduced opacity, the site is visible through the bar.
- Application icon: Used to specify an icon, if a shortcut to the site is created on the iPhone home screen.
- Splash screen: Used to specify the image used for the splash screen. This option is taken into account if a shortcut to the site is created on the iPhone home screen. This image must be 320 by 460 pixels in size to be taken into account by the phone.
Specific programming features
The method for developing a site for iPhone is identical to the method for developing a standard site. Some programming features are specific to the development for iPhone.
You have the ability to make a phone call directly from a site: in the URL of the link used to make the phone call, specify "tel:" and the phone number.
MAP_TELEPHONE.URL = "tel:" + CLIENT.Téléphone
You also have the ability to display the Google Maps corresponding to the address of the customer directly from his form: in the URL of the link, specify "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=" followed by the address of the customer.
MAP_TGMAP.URL = "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=" + ...
URLEncode(Client.Adresse + " " + Client.Ville + ", " + Client.Pays)
- Use iPhone-specific page templates.
- Reduce as much as possible the weight of the images on the site. Large images, Flash animations or videos may slow down the page loading time.
- Use anchors to manage the different orientations of the iPhone.