- SEO-ready pages in Session mode
- How to?
- Making a page in Session mode SEO-ready
- Important points to check and changes to make
SEO-ready page in session mode
In WEBDEV, there are two methods to develop a site:
- "Session" mode, which is based on automatic sessions,
- "AWP" mode, which requires managing contexts programmatically.
Until version 27, the Session mode did not support SEO-ready pages within a site: only the home page could be adapted for SEO purposes. The only way to obtain SEO-ready pages was to use AWP.
Starting with version 27, Session mode allows you to create SEO-ready pages, each with its own URL. There are many advantages of having an SEO-ready page:
- The page can be ranked among Google search results,
- This page has a fixed URL, which can be copied, emailed and set as a bookmark,
- There is no timeout to access this page,
- URL rewriting is available,
SEO-ready pages in Session mode
When a user enters an address corresponding to a WEBDEV page in the browser, the WEBDEV Application Server:
- Checks that there are no current sessions for this user.
- Creates a session.
- Executes the project initialization code.
- Opens the requested page (without opening the "first page" of the project).
: Once the session is created, all calls to the server benefit from the open session and are therefore much faster. The other pages in this session are displayed as usual.
Caution: not all pages of a WEBDEV site should be SEO-ready. Some pages (especially those that require authentication) do not need to be indexed in search engines.
Making a page in Session mode SEO-ready
To make a page in Session mode SEO-ready:
- Open the page description window: on the "Page" tab, in the "Description" group, click "Description".
- Go to "General", "Type of page":
- Select the "Session" mode if necessary and check "SEO-ready".
- If necessary, specify the name to be used in the URI. This name can be different from the name of the page in the editor.
Remark: For multilingual sites, you can enter the name in the different languages of the project.
- In the "Details" tab, specify the expressions and keywords that will make the page better for SEO purposes ("Edit expressions and keywords").
- Validate the page description window. The page is now SEO-ready.
Remark: Changing pages to SEO-ready session mode changes the file extension in the URL. The pages will become '.wb' files. '.wb' files do not physically exist.
Important points to check and changes to make
- As the page is SEO-ready, it must accept as parameters the elements that allow it to work independently from other pages. To do so, it is recommended to check the parameters expected by the page.
- An SEO-ready page can be opened:
- by a Link or Button control (recommended). In the description window of the control::
- set the type of action to "Display a site page".
- select the name of the page to open.
- click "Parameters..." to specify the parameters to be passed to the page. Each parameter can be a fixed value, a control or a variable.
- by the PageDisplay function in server code.
- Special case: pages using the current HFSQL context:
SEO-ready pages must not use the current HFSQL context. If a permanent link is used, the HFSQL context will not exist. Therefore, all the elements needed to find the context will have to be passed to the page as parameters.
- Global variables must be used with caution, to avoid using a non-initialized global variable when opening an SEO-ready page.
- URL rewriting is available on SEO-ready pages in Session mode.
- PreviousPage cannot be used in an SEO-ready page. The previous page can be any page, even a page that does not belong to the current site.