- How to?
- Defining the default page
- Defining the compilation options:
- Compiling a help file
- Test of the help system
Compiling and testing the help system
It is necessary to compile the help to create a file based on the information entered in the help editor. A specific compiler is used for each help format (.chm or .hlp). These compilers are provided with WINDEV.
The compilation is the process that creates the final help file using all the available elements: images, keywords, help pages, etc.
The compilation must be performed:
- to create the help file.
- each time the help system is modified (changes made to a page, keyword, etc.).
Once the compilation is completed, the help file can be tested.
: Before compiling the help, make sure that the compilers provided with WINDEV are referenced in the options of the help editor
Defining the default page
Before compiling the help system, you must define the default page. This page will be the first help page displayed when the help is started.
To define the default page of the help system:
- Go to the characteristics of the help system: on the "Modification" tab, in the "Help system" group, click "Description".
- In the "General" tab, select the default page.
Defining the compilation options:
By default, the help is compiled in a CHM file.
To choose the format of the help system, you must define the compilation options:
- On the "Modification" tab, in the "General" group, click "Options".
- Select the type of help to generate: chm or hlp and indicate the generation options. For more details, see Compilation options.
Compiling a help file
To compile a help file:
- On the "Modification" tab, in the "General" group, click "Compile". The compilation starts.
- Once the compilation is completed:
- If the compiler did not find any errors, the help file opens automatically.
- If the compiler detects errors, the status report of the compilation is displayed. This status report shows:
- the warnings: these warnings indicate non-existing links in the help file, for example.
- the operations performed by the compiler, as well as the errors and problems encountered. The "Print" button is used to print the status report.
To test the help system, click "See the help".
Test of the help system
The help system can be tested via one of the following methods:
- when compiling the help (see previous paragraph).
- on the "Modification" tab, in the "General" group, click "Test". This option opens the last created help file. If changes have been made since the last compilation, they are not taken into account.