- How to?
- Managing the books
- Managing the pages in the books
The users are familiar with summaries as the summary is the first element they go through in a printed documentation.
The summary familiarizes the user with the organization of the help system.
The users can browse the summary to find a specific help page.
The summary uses two categories of elements:
- the books, used to group the help pages into chapters and sections. In most cases, the users click the book to display the book pages.
- the pages, that represent the individual help pages. The users click the page to display the corresponding help page.
In the help system in CHM format, the pages and the books can be organized in any order.
In the help in HLP format:
- a page and a book cannot be found on the same level. A page is necessarily found before the book or inside the book.
- a click performed on a book does not open a page.
: In the help editor, you have the ability to view the summary in edit. All the help pages are displayed in the editor. These help pages can be moved and re-organized. If the help page must not be displayed in the summary at runtime, this must be specified in the characteristics of a help page
Managing the books
To create a book:
- Display the summary ("Table of contents" tab).
- Select "New .. New book" in the context menu.
Another possibility: On the "Modification" tab, in the "Table of contents" group, expand "New" and select "New book".
- A yellow book is created. Enter the caption of the book.
Remark: This book is linked to no page (a click on this book will open no page).
To create a book linked to a page (called "Book-Page": a click on this book will open the linked page):
Special case: Help in HLP format
- Select a page to associate with the book-page. This page can be selected by the user when the book is opened.
- Drag and Drop this page to the page that must be changed into book-page.
: At runtime, the book-page will be automatically transformed into book. The page linked to the book-page will be transformed into a page associated with the book.
To delete a book (or a book-page):
- Delete or move all the pages of the book (or book-page) that must be deleted.
- Select the book (or the page-book) that must be deleted.
- Press the Del key.
Managing the pages in the books
To display a page from a book (or from a book-page):
- Select the page to associate.
- Drag and Drop this page to the book (or book-page).
To remove a page from a book (or from a book-page):
- Select the page to remove.
- On the "Modification" tab, in the "Table of contents" group, use the arrow buttons to move the pages to other books.