- This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- Installing and configuring the "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 Connections"
- Installing the "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 Connections"
- For the deployment, you can create a group or use the standard "Power Users" group
- Go to the next step.
- Remark: the setup via FTP requires an FTP server
- the files will be immediately transferred to the server but your site will be installed at the specified date and time ("Schedule deployment for a later date").
Lesson 6.1. Deploying a site
This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- How to deploy?
- Required configuration.
Lesson duration: Estimated time
When the WEBDEV site is developed, it must be deployed on a server in order to make it accessible to the Web users.
|We are going to present the different steps required to deploy a WEBDEV site.|
|This section presents the deployment on a Windows server. If you are using a Linux server, see the documentation about the WEBDEV application server for Linux.|
Several methods can be used to deploy a WEBDEV site (in Session mode or in AWP mode):
- Remote deployment from the development computer (by HTTP or FTP).. Deployment in PCSCloud (PC SOFT's Cloud).: Remote deployment from a management computer (by HTTP or FTP) via a "deployment package".
- Deployment via PC SOFT test hosting service.
- Deployment by physical media (CD, ...)
- This deployment can be stand-alone
- in this case, a Web server and a limited WEBDEV application server are also installed by the setup.
- For the deployment on the server, the following elements must have been installed and configured:
- A Web server,
A WEBDEV application server (a 10-connection version is supplied with WEBDEV).: Remark. If a remote setup is performed by FTP, an FTP server must also be installed on the server. When installing WEBDEV, you have the ability to install the test version of WEBDEV application server
This allows you to test the deployment of your dynamic WEBDEV sites.
- To simplify the deployment operations and to allow you to directly test the deployment of your Web site, we will:. Install a WEBDEV Application Server 10 connections on a Windows computer. This application server must be installed on a computer other than the development computer
- WEBDEV Development must not be installed on this computer.
|Deploy the site remotely (by HTTP).|
|If you already have the parameters for accessing the server on which your site will be deployed, there is no need to install the WEBDEV Application Server 10 Connections. The setup can be directly performed on the server by HTTP.|
Installing and configuring the "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 Connections"
The setup program of "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 Connections" is available:
- for download on the site (click the most recent version of "WEBDEV 25 Application Server" and choose the "10 connections" package).
- in the WEBDEV setup package: start "Menu.exe" and select "WEBDEV Server - 10 connections Setup".
Installing the "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 Connections"
The setup steps are as follows:
- Accept the license agreement. Go to the next step of the wizard.
- Choose the "Windows" platform. Go to the next step.
This section presents the deployment on a Windows server
|If you want to use a Linux server, see the documentation about the WEBDEV application server for Linux or the online help.. Select the setup path of application server ("C:\WEBDEV 25" by default).|
- The next step is used to specify the advanced parameters of WEBDEV application server
- Keep the option "Use the default parameters".. If the WEBDEV Application Server has never been installed on the computer
- Specify the settings of a Windows account that will be used as WEBDEV administrator:
- This account will also be called "Hosting account". You can create a new Windows account or use an existing Windows account
- Select an option and go to the next step. The next step proposes the hosting of sites from previous versions
- Select "Allow the deployment of sites in version 25 only" and go to the next step.. If a previous version of the WEBDEV Application Server has been installed on the computer, the wizard allows. defining the management of sites and webservices of earlier versions. Keep the option "Keep the sites in earlier versions" and go to the next step.
- Validate this step..
The next step is used to manage the hosting of SaaS sites: The SaaS activation automatically installs a site and a Webservice to manage your SaaS sites
- See the online help for more details. Validate this step.. The next step allows defining the need for a secure connection to access all administration sites
- Validate the different setup steps.. Select the virtual Web servers on which the WEBDEV application server must be installed
- The default Web site is sufficient
Keep the selected options and check "Start the WEBDEV administrator"
|Validate.. The administrator is automatically started. Remark. |
The PDF file named "WebDevDeployment.pdf" is installed with the WEBDEV application server 10 connections: The option "Display the user guide (pdf)" is used to automatically display this file at the end of setup
If the option "Place the icons in the Start menu" was checked at the end of setup, this file will also be accessible via the "Start" menu.:
- "WEBDEV Application Server - 10 connections" is automatically configured
- WEBDEV sites can be deployed immediately
- NOTE4_3. Configuration via the Hosting Control Center.
- By default, a WEBDEV Application Server "administrator" is created when installing WEBDEV Application Server - 10 connections
- This user has all the rights (administration, deployment, statistics)
- You can use the Hosting Control Center to configure the different characteristics of this user or to use a specific user to deploy your sites.
Reminder: The Hosting Control Center is a tool designed to automatically configure the following elements.
- WEBDEV Application Server, . Web server (IIS),.
|FTP server (IIS)|
The configuration of FTP server is required to a setup via FTP only
|If not already open, start the Hosting Control Center from Windows Start menu.. First of all, we will see the different parameters available in the Hosting Control Center. To view the different parameters|
To configure the directories used by your server, click "Directories" in the "Hosting parameters" group
The different options of this group allow you to define the parameters that will be used by default for your hosting server.
Indicate where the sites will be installed.
- Choose the root directory where the sub-directories of WEBDEV accounts will be created: Remark
- Use a directory local to the computer
- If you want to use a network directory, a UNC path must necessarily be specified
- The Internet guest of computer must have access to this path without having to authenticate.
- You can choose the names of sub-directories that will contain the sites, the webservices and data.
For the deployment, you can create a group or use the standard "Power Users" group
A good practice for running sites consists in using the "IIS_IUSRS" group (on Windows versions where it is available).Click "Apply" to validate.
Click "Limits" to specify the resource limitations to apply to WEBDEV accounts
- Maximum number of connections that will be shared between sites (0 corresponds to an unlimited number),. Limitation regarding the number of sites to associate with an account, .... Click "HFSQL Client/Server database" to configure the creation of an HFSQL database whenever a user is created..
Once the hosting is configured, click "Apply" then the "Refresh" button (if this button is proposed).: NOTE4_4. Creating a deployment account.
- The Hosting Control Center can also be used to create a deployment account.. This account can be used to deploy WEBDEV sites from WEBDEV
- To create a deployment account:. Click the "New user" button
- The wizard for creating a new user starts. All you have to do is follow the different steps
- If not already done, the Hosting Control Center proposes to define a management group
- In this example, answer "Yes" to the question "Do you want to continue without this group?"
- You can
- Create a Windows account
- This account will be used for deploying and configuring your sites. Use an existing Windows account. In this example we will create a Windows account
- Type the user name and password (you also have the ability to generate the password. In this case, don't forget to write it down!) Go to the next step of the wizard.. The wizard proposes the WEBDEV options associated with the account
- Keep the default options and go to the next step.. The wizard proposes to use a Windows account to run the applications
The directories of the user account are automatically filled according to the specified data.. Continue with the wizard until you reach the "Virtual Web site" step.. If you choose to create a new virtual site, all you have to do is specify the DNS name that will lead to this site (the DNS must be configured accordingly)..
If you choose to use an existing virtual site, its configuration will be replaced.
- Go to the next step.. This step specifies whether FTP access and deployment should be allowed for the user. In our case, this option is not necessary because we will perform an HTTP deployment.
- Go to the next step.. The wizard is ended.
Check all choices: You have the ability to uncheck some operations if you do not want the wizard to perform them on your behalf..
- Validate the wizard. Your server is now ready to receive WEBDEV sites. We will use the user we created to test the deployment of a site by HTTP: NOTE5. NOTE5_1
- The different deployment modes
- Now that our Web server was configured, we are ready to deploy our site. Several methods are available
- The choice of a method mainly depends on the technical constraints (ability to use an FTP server or not, access to the server, ...)
- A dynamic WEBDEV site can be deployed according to one of these methods:
Remote deployment from the development computer (by HTTP or FTP)
Remark: the setup via FTP requires an FTP server
Deployment in PC SOFT Cloud
.. Remote deployment from a management computer
(by HTTP or FTP) via a "deployment package"
- This deployment mode operates like the direct remote deployment
- The only difference.
- the deployment is not performed from the development environment of WEBDEV.
|In this mode:|
the developer generates a deployment package.
|The site manager (who can be a person other than the developer) deploys the package on the remote server via WDDeploy. WDDeploy is a freely distributable tool that is supplied with WEBDEV.|
Deployment by physical media (DVD-ROM, etc.)
The deployment by physical media creates a setup support (like an application) that will have to be run on the server directly
This deployment mode operates in Windows only
- Deployment via PC SOFT test hosting service.
- Deployment via a Docker image of the site.
- Let's now study the deployment by HTTP.. NOTE5_2. A detailed example.
- deployment via HTTP. We are going to deploy the "Full_WEBDEV_Site" project that was used in part 3 of this tutorial. A corrected version is available if you did not use this project yet.
- To open this project in WEBDEV:. Display the WEBDEV home page if necessary (Ctrl + <). In the home page, click "Tutorial" and select "Full WEBDEV Site (Exercise)"
- Answer. If you did not perform the operations in the previous parts, open the corrected project
- This project contains the different pages created in the previous parts.
To open the corrected project, in WEBDEV's home page, click "Tutorial" and select "Full WEBDEV Site (Answer)".
- Preparing the setup. A setup wizard is supplied with WEBDEV ; this wizard allows you to easily install your site at the hosting company (Internet or Extranet site for example) or on one of your servers dedicated to WEBDEV hosting (Intranet site for example).
- We are going to use this wizard:
- In the ribbon, on the "" pane, in the "" group, expand "" and select "Generate and deploy the site".. Project
- Generation. Deploy site
- The wizard starts: Before performing the setup, all elements found in your site must be included in a library
- A library is a file that groups all elements created during the development steps (description of database, pages, reports, queries, ...): The HTML pages and the images are not included in the library.
Go to the next step.
- Several languages can be included in the library: In our example, we will keep the default options
- Go to the next step.
- The information about the library version is used to enter the elements that will be displayed in the file properties in the Windows explorer: Go to the next step..
|Don't save the project and validate the library creation.|
|The setup wizard will now ask you some questions to define how your site will be deployed: In our case, we are going to perform a remote setup by HTTP:.
Select the first option "Deploy the WEBDEV site on a remote WEBDEV Application Server".Go to the next step.: To define the server parameters, the following information must be supplied by your hosting company|
- We are going to type the information corresponding to the setup that was performed beforehand:
- Server address (in our example, name of computer where WEBDEV Application Server 10 connections was installed). The name can be:
- a computer name accessible by network (for example. "TestServer"),
- an IP address (for example
- 192.168.15.99),. an Internet address (for example. www.myserver.eu).
- User account that runs the setup:
"mycomputer\test" or "mydomain\test".
- We created it in the previous step. this account is "Mark"..
Password associated with the account (in our example, also "mark"): Remark. Caution.
- the user name can be preceded by the domain name to avoid confusions. For example.
- Once you have entered your account details, go to the next step.: Type the parameters for site deployment
- We will keep the default options. Go to the next step.: WEBDEV establishes the connection and it summarizes the operations to perform (number of files to update, number of files to delete, etc.)
- To get the details of the operations and modify them if necessary, click"Edit the list of files".: Go to the next step.
- The wizard proposes to include the automatic modification of data files in the setup: You also have the ability to configure the elements required to use a HFSQL Client/Server database
- Keep the default options and go to the next step.. The wizard proposes to select the deployment mode
- Deploy without disconnecting users
- This option allows you to update the site without disconnecting the users: Deploy by disconnecting users
- If this option is selected, connected users will be automatically disconnected to update the site: Select "Deploy by disconnecting users" and go to the next step
- Specify the site parameter
- You can modify:: The maximum number of connections to the site, ... if this value is set to "5" for example, only 5 Web users will be able to connect to your site at the same time.
- The maximum number of connections per Web user. if this value is set to "5" for example, a Web user will be able to start your site up to 5 times., ...
The amount of idle time before user disconnection
- this option is used to free all the resources occupied by the session of Web user if this one has performed no action since the specified duration.. By default, your site is immediately enabled after setup
The users will have no access to your site if "Activate the site immediately after its setup" is unchecked.. The wizard proposes to perform:
an immediate setup
the files will be immediately transferred to the server but your site will be installed at the specified date and time ("Schedule deployment for a later date").
Go to the next step.. The wizard allows you to define the parameters for site security
|Change of IP||Go to the next step.|
|The wizard proposes to automatically generate the statistical files for the site||These statistics affect for example the actions performed on the site, the origin of Web users|
|Keep the options proposed by default and go to the next step.||Validate the setup ("Finish")|
- The setup wizard transfers the files.: During the file transfer, the wizard compresses and encrypts the transferred data
- Your data is transferred with a high-security level.: At the end of setup, a link allows you to immediately start the site.
- NOTE6_1: Correspondence between the directories of the development computer and the deployment
- The distribution of site files is slightly different between the development and the deployment server: Let's see a summary of the distribution automatically proposed by WEBDEV.
Directory on the development computer:
- Directory on the deployment server
- <Project name>\<Project name>_WEB.
<site>\<site name>\<site name in uppercase>_WEB
Click [Add] to post a comment