- Operating mode
- Automatic management
- Advanced management
- Special case
In a Windows application, the information relative to a window is kept with the window.
In a dynamic WEBDEV site, a page context exists on the server for each page displayed on the browser of Web user.
The page context contains all the information related to the page:
- content of controls,
- local variables,
- global variables,
- WLanguage "server" code, etc.
By default, WEBDEV automatically manages the contexts of dynamic pages:
- A page context is opened when the dynamic page is displayed in the browser.
- The context of a page is updated according to the information the user enters in the browser. The context is updated when the user validates the page (via a "Submit" button or with PageSubmit).
- The existing page contexts are closed when using PageUse or FramesetUse. Then, the page contexts corresponding to the pages to display are opened.
WEBDEV allows you to perform an advanced management of contexts via the ContextXXX functions.
- open the page context without displaying it on the browser (ContextOpen),
- check the existence of a page context on the server (ContextExist),
- close the context of an unused page (ContextClose).
This advanced management of page contexts can be used to:
- Save memory on the server (by closing the contexts of pages previously opened but unused for example).
- Prepare the pages intended to communicate with other applications (the page receiving information back from a site for secure payment for example).
- Use the pages from other pages.